Thursday, August 11, 2011

Where to start...

I've never "blogged" before.  But recently I have gotten an overwhelming feeling that I should start one.  Not that I would have any profound realizations to present to the world, nor the absolute proof of the theory of relativity.  Perhaps my only reason for creating this blog is to prove that I ever existed.  I have been thinking about my own death more recently.  Not suicide...but more about when it will happen, and how.  And I wonder if I'll be missed by anyone or if I've just been a blip in time.

My life has not been "ideal"...but has anyone ever had a perfect life?  But I must say that I have had an interesting life.  And I know that there have been Angels watching over me.  When I look back I know there have been times that I should or at least could have been killed.

I was born at the very end of the baby-boom.  And was raised on a steady diet of Andy Griffith, Roy Rogers, Leave it to Beaver, and many other healthy wholesome television shows that were supposed to represent the average American life.  At that time I was also raised with loyal red, white, and blue beliefs.  Which of course meant that I was brought to believe that our government did no wrong and although we were entitled, questioning the President of the United States was not done.  There were many things that people just knew were not proper and 'not done' by honest average Americans.

My father was a blue collar worker that didn't really have any vices except reading his newspaper and Marlboro cigarettes.  He had been raised in a large family and was forced to quit a formal education in the 8th grade so that he could help support that family.  But he read everything that he could get his hands on and watched news programs with great intent.  I would have put him up against any college grad as far as knowledge or intelligence testing.

My mother was the eldest of a large Catholic family.  She had been excommunicated by the Catholic church because she was divorced from her first husband.  A.K.A. my biological father.  I never have gotten all the details.  I was too young to know.  And, people just didn't speak of those things.  So Mom was before her time and was a single working Mom.  In fact,  Mom and Dad met at work.  I later heard that my Grandmother on my father's side warned my father saying that my Mom was just looking for a bread-winner.  That was so far from the truth.  My Mom was completely devoted to my Dad until the day he passed.  And, it wasn't long after he passed that she followed him.

No...I don't have tales of abuse.  In fact quite the opposite.  I grew up in a very loving family.  Mom would even put little notes in my lunch when I was in elementary school.  I wish that I had appreciated my life back then as much as I do now.  I must have had some insight because there was an occasion where I was on the floor watching the news with my father, and I remember turning to him and telling him that I never wanted to grow up.  I believe I was only 7 or 8 years old,  So his only response was to tell me that I was "silly".  I think it was because I had seen so much of the Vietnam war and the rioting going on in Washington D.C. which affected my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment